Modified Split Pea Dal
- 1 cup yellow split peas (uncooked)
- 2 cups water (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 onion (diced, I chose chives for colour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin (whole seeds or ground)
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 tsp curry
- In a large pot, place the uncooked yellow split peas and the water or vegetable broth, and bring to a slow simmer
- Add the spices
- Cook for at least 30 minutes, covered, until the yellow split peas are fully cooked, stirring occasionally.
- You can also continue to cook your dal for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, if you prefer, to allow the yellow split peas to break up and have a smoother texture.
- Once the split peas are done, stir in your vegan margerine( or alternative butter/oil of choice)